2015 -2016: Bridgefoot Street Community Garden.
The community garden project at Bridgefoot Street, Dublin 8, was set up in March 2015 with the aim of engaging residents with gardening activity on an ongoing voluntary basis at this site. Residents have been able to avail of Green Communities horticultural and environmental workshops. These workshops have delivered action based training, and transferable skills exchange.
An Taisce Green Communities training events ran throughout 2015 and 2016, and were open to all members of the public. They were also widely advertised among the existing network of Green Communities member groups. Green Communities also held open gardening sessions on Saturdays between 12 pm and 2 pm at Bridgefoot Street Community Garden during 2015, and between 2 pm and 4 pm during 2016.
Download the summary of Green Communities Activity at Bridgefoot Street Community Garden Here.
2013: The Environmental Animation Training Programme for the “West Limerick Tidy Towns Network”, in association with West Limerick Resources.
A request for tender was issued from West Limerick Resources in September 2012 for a West limerick Tidy Towns Environmental Enhancement and Biodiversity Training Initiative for 2013. This request specified that West Limerick Tidy Towns Groups should receive training that develops the skills, knowledge and potential of Tidy Towns groups in the areas of biodiversity, habitat mapping, invasive species and waste minimisation. An Taisce EEU successfully tendered for this project with a proposal to deliver the required training via the following means:
- Classroom training
- Field Trip & Demonstration
- Homework & Mentorship
- Best Practice
- Tidy Towns Competition Clinics
During the course of this 2013 training programme the following subject modules were covered:
- Habitat & Wildlife Mapping
- Invasive Species
- Litter Monitoring & Management
- Linkages & Waste Minimisation
- Catch All & Review
Download the completed 2013 report Here.
Other online Resources:
Google map that includes biodiversity data collected by Tidy Towns Volunteers within West Limerick: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zRjaPFQPeSCk.k1auy2Ur9x-o&ie=UTF&msa=0
Flickr Account of photography at events and site visits: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75729384@N07/sets/
2012: The creation of the West Limerick Tidy Towns Network, in association with West Limerick Resources
In 2012 West Limerick Resources appointed a dedicated Community Environmental Enhancement Animator to work with Tidy Towns Groups and other applicable Community Groups in the West Limerick Area over the course of six months. 19 Tidy Towns Groups engaged with the Initiative, the purpose and goals of which included:
- Concentrate the awareness of Tidy Towns Groups upon the Wildlife and Natural Amenities Category, and the Waste Minimisation Category of the Tidy Towns competition, an area where groups have long struggled to achieve points and one where substantial interest in further support has been identified.
- Conduction of baseline surveys of each community interested in taking part in environmental initiatives and putting in place a simple introductory action plan.
- Deliver the same success achieved within the Greater Dublin Area through the Green Communities Programme format. The resulting network is currently referred to as the “West Limerick Tidy Towns Network”.
- Stimulating the further development of individual and community lead project proposals which may be eligible to be submitted to West Limerick Resources for consideration for funding under the Rural Development Programme 2007-2013.
Download the completed 2012 Report on Green Communities activity Here.
Other Online Resources:
Google Map of Participating Tidy Towns Groups: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zWViU27rnyn8.kwYZGrHVziD8&msa=0
Flickr Account of Photography at events and site visits: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75729384@N07/